hollow grind questions

Reading guide for The Hollow Ground by Natalie S. Harnett

The Hollow Ground could be viewed as a cautionary tale about what happens when we delve underground. Do you think mine fires such as the one that took place in Barrendale could serve as an argument against other environmental issues of concern such as fracking or oil drilling?

Dragon Cutlery - Lessons on Grinding

For starting a hollow grind, set the metal to the wheel with the machine off to get the angle you want. Then lock a pair of vise grips to the work rest to limit the travel of the blade (see drawing below). Set the knife on the rest with the machine on and rock the blade forward to start grinding, moving the knife left and right. This will establish the hollow grind (you should get both sides ...

Thoughts on hollow grind and bushcraft? | Bushcraft …

2015-03-12· The hollow grind has less behind the edge. I have seen some with a thicker grind that had a secondary bevel which would help with that issue. It all depends on how hard you want to use it.

Amana Tool Hollow Ground Saw Blades - Cabinetmaker …

The unique hollow grind, which pairs a triple-chip tooth with a raker tooth that's ground to a concave profile, produces crisp, clean cuts. The grind is commonly used in vertical panel saws, such as those made by Striebig® and Holz-Her®. The negative hook angle …

Amazon.ca: Customer Questions & Answers

Shun DM0718 7-Inch Classic Santoku Hollow Ground Knife › Questions & Answers Shun DM0718 7-Inch Classic Santoku Hollow Ground Knife by Shun Ask the Community Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway. Please enter a question. Showing 1-3 of 3 questions ...

Skate Sharpening guide basic points about which hollow …

Sharpening a skate is more than just placing your skate blade against a grinding wheel. Each player has a different need for their level and style of play or skating. This short tutorial will help answer some questions about skate sharpening and help the skater determine the proper type of hollow or grind …

Hollow grinding with a file? - Beginners Place ...

2009-02-10· First of all I'd like to say hi to all the members, I've been reading alot of the forums, but have never posted before. I know its probably a dumb question, but I'm new to making knives and I was wondering if I'd be able to do a hollow grind with a file, and if so suggestions on how I'd go about it and if I needed a special file for it.

Hollow grinding theory | BladeForums.com

2009-04-29· Anything less, if you grind to the spine of a knife and carry the hollow tangent to the edge and you'll grind right through to the other side. To work correctly assumes a blade thickness of .187, a width of ~ .920, using a 10" diameter wheel and a finish ground edge thickness of ~ .014.

Questions on sharpening stones - Paul Sellers' Blog

I currently use three water stones 1000, 4000 and 8000 grits to grind, hone and polish. When looking at what DMT (the maker of the stones available from Lee Valley) offers, a trio of 600, 1200 and 8000 seemed appropriate though I wondered about the jump from 1200 to 8000.

Hollow Grind - Blade Geometry Knife FAQ

The hollow grind is ideal for cutting soft tissue, which is why it is found on skinners and scapels. Hollow grinds always have a secondary bevel. Without a secondary bevel, the edge on a hollow grind blade would be extremely fragile.

Hollow/Flat Grind on Chisels? | Fine Woodworking Knots

You don't need a hollow grind to use one- in fact the grind becomes more or less irrelevant as a honing aid, the micro bevel makes the edge functionally convex, and the roller forces you to make the scratches go in the right direction. He's a pretty smart guy and very nice to answer my questions.

Beginners Guide to Skate Sharpening - New To Hockey

As a compromise between precision and blade life, some shops will do an extremely light cross-grind to take off only the edges, without removing the entire hollow. Over-sharpening the tip & tail A hockey skate is designed to be relatively (but not entirely) flat in the middle two-thirds of the blade, and rockered at the ends for agility.

What does 'hollow grind' mean in the context of knife …

A hollow grind is just a concave grind put into the knife that allows for ease of sharpening and reduced drag. The top and bottom ones are hollow ground. The middle ones are flat ground.

What is a Hollow Ground Blade? (with pictures)

2018-12-30· A hollow ground blade is a knife blade that has been ground down to create a characteristic concave, beveled edge along the cutting edge of the knife. This effect is accomplished by starting the grind below the midpoint of the knife, creating a small wedge with concave sides that is extremely sharp and very easy to care for. Many mass produced knives are made with such blades, …

How Do You Hollow Grind - by davidroberts @ …

2009-05-04· The one thing to focus on in this particular link is the way he uses the hollow grind to rock the bevel back and forth to get the right feel for the angle to sharpen the blade on the stone. Just get the back edge and front edge of the bevel to lay flat on the stone (or fine sandpaper) and you'll be fine.

Tormek - hollow grind? - Google Groups

2001-03-05· I'm thinking of getting the Tormek (plane irons and chisels). I mailed Sharp Tools and Tormek with my questions but haven't gotten any replies

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: 1. What payment method do you use? We are in the process of creating a secure way of accepting credit card payments online.

Hollow Grind Small - learnpiano.in

small hollow grind knife sharpening machines - nivvasa.in. scissor fine grinding crusher - small ball mill … small hollow grind knife sharpening machines - …

The Hollow Ground by Natalie S. Harnett - Goodreads

The Hollow Ground by Natalie S. Harnett is a narrative told from the perspective of a young pre-teen living in the midst of devastating Pennsylvania coal mine fires. The novel is inspired by real events in the the 1960's, and interestingly, some of those same fires still burn today.

hollow vs flat grinding thoughts - Tormek

2015-04-01· If I hold a knife edge to the most acute angle with a hollow grind leading up to the cutting edge, you are telling me that it would be stronger than the same edge when flat ground. Measure the edge angle from anywhere you want. There is still a "hollow grind" which means the same as a void of metal. Void means there is nothing there.

Radius of Hollow or Hollow Grind for Ice Hockey Skates

Radius of Hollow or Hollow Grind. When skates are sharpened, they are hollow ground creating a concave surface with two distinct edges. The edges give the skater the ability to control the skates for turning, stopping, and starting.

hollow grinding questions - Knife Making - I Forge Iron

2013-11-01· Hi everybody. Ive only flat ground my blades so far, but i want to start hollow grinding some straight razors. During my forging process i forge all bevels in and clean them with a flatter before i start rough grinding. My question is, do i need to forge in an edge bevel for hollow grinding or do...

Sharpening a Hollow Ground Knife

Sharpening a Hollow Ground Knife. Whether you call it a hollow ground or a hollow grind, you can sharpen these knives with ease. A hollow grind is produced when you use a …

Journeyman sharpening questions - Page 2

A couple of questions for the more skilled. When using a 2000/8000 Japanese wet stone, I have read that the slurry produced is a needed part of the process. Is the same true for using Arkansas stones? Along these lines, the buck knife sharpening kit (Arkansas) indicated

hollow grinding revisited - Tormek | en

2017-07-05· This produces a hollow grind which is much less hollow than smaller diameter wheels. I do believe that much of today's thinking about hollow grinding is leftover from the small diameter dry grinding days decades ago. It does not reflect larger diameter Tormek grinding.

AW Extra 7/18/13 – Centering a Hollow Grind | Popular ...

Centering a Hollow Grind A felt-tip pen is the best tool I've found for adjusting a grinder's tool rest. When you need to find the center of a bevel…

Ice Skate Sharpening Questions Salem, New Hampshire

The other radius is the Radius of Hollow or simply "hollow grind". When the skates are sharpened, the blades are ground to produce a concave hollow in the center producing two distinct edges on the blade. The depth of the hollow grind is measured as the radius of a circle that is cut into the blade.

Hollow Edge or Regular Chef's Knife? | ChefTalk

2016-07-25· I'm referring to both the statement that a hollow grind will last longer, and the statement that a hollow grind is sharper. Then again, the only hollow grinds I've seen on kitchen knives are on Cutco dreck, and dollar store dreck.